So I am often asked, "How did you do it?" Which is really how did I go from 327 lbs on Aug 1,2011 to 193 lbs Dec 14, 2012 & currently. The simple answer is Weight Watchers and Exercise. But if it were simple, everyone would have done it long ago. So it needs further explaination.
First, why would I embark on such an arduous journey? I didn't want to die young. Still don't. I had gotten to the point in my life when it was becoming obvious that my life style of being sedentary and eating poorly was destined for an assortment of ailments. I had high blood pressure, and was taking 3 different drugs daily to control it. I had sleep apnea, forcing me to sleep with a bi-pap pump, at almost the highest pressure setting on the device. Walking would make me out of breath. I was a prime candidate for the "Widowmaker", that big heart attack that kills you before the nearest person can get their cell phone out of their pocket. I didn't want that to happen and so the only way to increase my odds was to lose weight and get fit.
In addition, even if my heart didn't explode like a 4th of July Firework, my quality of life was diminished. I had just returned from a vacation where I did a lot of walking. But I wanted to do more, and was limited by aching knees and feet. We had gone to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and simply couldn't do the easy hikes from the car to points of interest, such as waterfalls. I was always lagging behind and refused several climbs up and down steps. Needless to say, I was not enjoying nearly as much as I would have liked, and I felt like a ball and chain to my wife and son.
So as we were on our way home I told my wife that I had enough of living like that and was going to join Weight Watchers. She said she wanted to get in shape also and agreed to join me. And thus the journey began.
Second let's address the simple part. It is not simple, it is not easy and it doesn't happen overnight! It is truly a long, hard, road. What we are really talking about here is making life changes, change habits of a 52 year old man (my age when I started), and making them stick long term. It is about readjusting strategies many times, looking for more insight, constantly learning about what makes you fat & unfit, and what makes you lean & fit. Old habits need to die, not just go disappear temporarily, but really die, and they die hard. New habits need to be formed and become a daily part of your life.
I have read that it takes 4 to 5 weeks to change a behavior. But that is just getting over the initial hump. Many times it keeps coming back at you over and over. In the case of diet especially, you are fighting modern western society. Everything is pointed at the quick and easy and ultimately unhealthy. You are bombarded by the media, restaurant choices, your friends and family. Almost EVERYONE will try and sabotage your efforts, even when they think they are not. And it is really easy to give in. Just one potato chip, yeah if there ever was such a thing. It is only this meal and it is a special occasion. That excuse can apply daily. Haven't you lost enough weight, I wouldn't want you to get sick? I get this all the time, like I was healthy before! Do you have to really go to the gym again? Just skip it this once... Some will even het mad, cause your success reminds them of their failure.
So if your really gonna do this be prepared for the long haul and the onslaught of those that won't be any help.
Now let me address some tips and strategies. I think number one on this list is to find a partner. Someone who really gets it. If you are married or living with someone, having your spouse, roommate or significant other on board is an absolute. If they really aren't on board, then your chances for success long term are much worse. In my case that would be my wife. We had both at different times over the last 33 years tried to lose weight individually, ultimately failing. The person you live with has a huge influence on your life style and if they are on a different path than you are, failure is imminent! That may sound harsh but you are all ready going to be fighting society as a whole, the media and everything else, so if your roomy is on the other side, you are doomed. My wife Liz and I decided to do this together. We both have been on it since Aug 1, 2011 still are, neither of us has reached our goal, but still fighting and rooting for each other. She has lost 70+ pounds in the same time. OUR life style has changed!
BTW if you are living alone, still find a small support group that you can be in contact with daily. You need the support and constant encouragement. Again, it needs to be someone who really gets it.
Diet.... Losing weight is about simple formula. Calories in must be less than calories expended and you need to understand what turns your fat burning metabolism on and your appetite off. I can give you examples that work for me, but my body, chemistry and genetics are different than yours. This is the hard part, you have to figure out what works for YOU.
It also helps to understand what happens to blood sugar levels throughout your day and how eating certain things affects them. Some foods will make your blood sugars spike, and consequently, dip. These things are usually foods high in simple carbohydrates, like breads, sugar, sweets, fruit juices, some fruit, high frutcose corn syrup, over processed foods, pasta, starches, etc. When your blood sugar spikes, your fat burning metabolism shuts down, it doesn't need to burn fat cause it has all of these easy carbs to burn. The trouble is they burn up quickly, usually in about an hour or so, because they are easy to digest and go straight into the blood stream. When they burn up though, your blood sugar takes a plunge, and then you feel hungry. But even worse, your fat burning mechanism still doesn't fire up cause your body goes into starvation mode. So you grab another doughnut and your blood sugar goes back through the roof. A very bad cycle to be on, made even worse when you aren't physically burning all of those extra calories that is spiking your blood sugar so your body puts it into fat for use later.
Getting off the roller coaster is essential to long term, sustained weight loss. This means staying away from the type of foods that encourage it, and shifting your diet to foods that take longer to digest, help you maintain a steady blood sugar throughout the day and kick in your fat burning mechanisms. These are proteins (lean meats, fish, poultry), fats (nuts, dairy fat, olive oil, canola oil), and complex carbohydrates (green vegetables, raw unprocessed fruit, fiber rich foods). These foods all have the affect of satisfying hunger without spiking blood sugar. Because they are typically slow digesting they feed their calories into your blood stream over 3-4 hours, keeping blood sugar at a steady level and your hunger at bay. Because your body doesn't feel starved when you are physically burning calories, it will make up the deficit by burning body fat. Protein also has the added advantage of helping to build muscle instead of fat, which is denser and takes more calories for the body to maintain, metabolism goes up, and you start losing weight. By the way, it is almost impossible to find any selection of foods that fit into this category at most fast food restaurants (there are a couple of exceptions). Taking a piece of chicken, loading it up with a high carb batter and deep frying it in oil so the fat quantity goes through the roof is not what we are talking about. Then compound it by putting it on a bun, with a slice of over processed cheese, gobbing a couple of tablespoons of regular mayo, and serving it with a side of deep fried starches and a sugar packed soft drink is a recipe for disaster!
Last thing on diet is in order to figure out what works for you and your body in this general scheme is you need to track. And I mean track, everything you eat, daily, forever. This is why we joined WeightWatchers online. We have not gone to any meetings, but the online tracking tools are great. The point system is easier that trying to count calories and the smart phone apps make it doable anywhere. The WW plan also promotes essentially what I am talking about above. Most fruits and green veggies are 0 points. Proteins vary usually based on fat content, fats are moderate points and to be used in moderation. The bad stuff points are high, so if you eat them at all, it needs to be in small quantities. It works. It helps you find out what foods your body is sensitive too and what foods you can eat.
.Exercise.... Diet alone will help you get started, but remember the formula calories in must be lower than calories expended and fat burning metabolism must be turned on. Exercise is the key. Increasing physical activity burns more calories than sitting in the Lazy-boy watching re-runs of Cheers. Regular exercise also increases your metabolism and fat burning because your body starts to figure out that if we keep doing this, it need to get rid of this fat, and build some muscle.
Find an exercise that a) you can do a lot of, b) you like, and c) preferrably with your diet partner. When I started I began walking, but I couldn't get a great workout walking because my knees and feet hurt. I always liked bicycling and found that it didn't bother my knees and feet, so out came the old mountain bike. I struggled at first, a 30 minute ride at 10 mph would do me in. But as the weight came off, my duration and speed started to go up. I was also able to walk more, which Liz and I did together. When the weather started to turn, Liz got me a membership at the gym she was going to.
I dabbled in some weight lifting, but for the first 3+ months I rode the exercise bike a lot. In February of 2012 I didn't feel like I was getting a good enough workout doing just that. My weight was down now over 50 lbs, my knees, feet and endurance were getting much better. I could ride for 60 minutes on the stationary bike at a pretty good level, but I needed more. So I started spinning classes. The first kicked my butt, and continued to do so for the next few months. I also got Liz into them also.
Spring came and I started riding outside again. Man what a difference, now riding for 45-60 minutes at 13 mph an hour was very doable. Liz bought a new bike and started to join me. But I again needed to take it to a new level. So I bought a used road bike and started amping it up. I could go on about the triumphs of riding and walking and hiking last summer but that is a blog in itself. The biggest culmination was August 31, 2012, the day after my 54th birthday, 13 months after starting this journey I biked 102 miles in under 7 hours at an avg speed of over 15 mph. I since run a 5K, and an organized run on New Years Day of 2.2 miles, even though I never was a runner. Knee pain and feet pain are gone. This winter I am spinning twice a week, riding my bike trainer at home and weight lifting/strength training to get in even better shape for the outdoor cycling season.
The message here is exercise is essential to weight loss and long term health. Good cardio creates the big calorie deficit. Anaerobic cardio builds endurance and strengthens your heart and cardio-vascular system. Strength training, builds muscle which burns more calories than fat, increases your fat burning metabolism and makes your cardio easier and less prone to injury. There are plenty of exercises that do this, walking, running, cycling, swimming, group exercise classes. But it is a life style change. Going to the gym instead of watching re-runs of "How I Met Your Mother". Going for a walk instead of sitting in the hammock drinking a beer. Playing golf, walking/carrying your bag instead for watching it on TV.
Diet & Exercise, it works....
One last thought. A vacation in 2011 to Pictured Rocks National Shoreline on the Lake Superior shore convinced me that is was time to do this. I could hardly walk/hike, and we looked at the shoreline from a boat tour, as we sat and watched the scenery go by. One year later, Liz and I went back to Pictured Rocks. This time though we took back packs, and packed into the wilderness are for 4 days and 3 nights. We camped and hiked, and swam in Lake Superior and seen the most beautiful sites, those that can only be seeing after hiking 3, 4 or 5 miles. I carried a 60lb pack with tent and food, Liz a 35 lb pack. I felt great, Liz felt great and we loved it so much that we are already planning another back country pack trip for this summer. What a difference. Our lives are different now, better, more active, more enjoyable. Neither of us is on any prescription medications, I no longer have sleep apnea, my blood pressure is normal without any meds. And I hope to live a long and healthy life from here on out!
It is a long hard road to Mordor, Frodo Baggins. But it is worth it!
No comments:
Post a Comment